Nyree is a local Canberra artist who finds inspiration in the natural environment, with flowers and animals prominent in her work. She enjoys using a variety of mediums and techniques to bring her subjects to life: predominantly using acrylics, pan-pastels and textural mixed-media.
She grew up in a household filled with original works of art and craft, most of which were created by her talented family. Because of this, she has always appreciated the value of art and expressing oneself creatively. Nyree believes that “art makes a house a home”.
Nyree believes that art can play a valuable role in promoting nature conservation, and hopes that her work can contribute to this cause, which is close to her heart. To this end, she is currently working on an extensive series of Australian Wildlife Portraits, particularly focusing on endangered animals. Nyree donates 10% of any profits she makes from the sale of these works to animal and wildlife conservation charities, notably IFAW, RSPCA, Australian Conservation Foundation and Shoalhaven Bat Clinic (all sales of “Siegfried” the Grey-Headed Flying Fox).
She also enjoys the challenge of commissioned pet-portraits, working closely with people who wish to have a special artwork created to capture the unique personalities of their furry companions.
Recently Nyree has rekindled her love of Printmaking and has been learning more about copper and dry-point etching, collagraphs, Lino Cuts and Geli printing. She has also discovered a new passion for Digital Photography thanks to her husband, Tony who is a very talented photographer and excellent personal tutor.
Nyree is a member of the Artists Society of Canberra, Megalo Print Studio, Canberra Photographic Society and the Queanbeyan Art Society. She frequently exhibits at the monthly QAS exhibitions, at which she has been awarded the following:
- 2nd Prize, Acrylics, Queanbeyan Leagues Club Exhibition, 2014, for “Banksia Serrata”.
- 1st Prize, Animal Portraiture, “Drawings, Portraits and Miniatures” Exhibition, 2014, for “Chevy”.
- 1st Prize, Pastels, Queanbeyan City Council Exhibition, 2015, for “Mr. Charming the Meerkat”.
- 1st Prize, Pastels, Queanbeyan Leagues Club Exhibition, 2016, for “Twinkle-Toes the Brushtail Possum”.
- 2nd Prize, Pastels, Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council Exhibition, 2016, for “Ambrose the Platypus”.
- 1st Prize, Animal Portraiture, “Drawings, Portraits and Miniatures” Exhibition, 2017, for “Dot the Eastern Quoll”.
- 1st Prize, Pastels, “Splash of Milk Art Award”, 2017, for “Billy the Bilby”.
- 2nd Prize, Mixed Media, Queanbeyan Leagues Club Exhibition, 2018, for “Strelizia Paradise”.
- 1st Prize, Pastels, Queanbeyan Leagues Club Exhibition, 2019, for “Bam Bam the Gentoo Penguin”.
- 4th Prize, Pastels, AusCert Building Certifiers Exhibition, 2021, for “Sadie the Sugar Glider”.
- 1st Prize, Pastels, Molonglo Conservation Group Exhibition, 2021, for “Claude the Murray River Crayfish”.
- 4th Prize, Mixed Media, Queanbeyan Leagues Club Exhibition, 2021, for “Gymea Lily”.
Nyree has also displayed her work in 3 group exhibitions with members of the ASOC Flora & Fauna workgroup. To date, she has sold over 20 original paintings, and completed 10 commissions.